Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kimchi & Crepes









I've recently begun to make more Korean foods. I am, after all, Korean. I was raised here in America, but was first & foremost born in Korea. I have struggled with how to connect with Korea since I spent a whole lifetime away from it. I find that through making Korean I am able to connect with that part of myself in a way that is not limited by language. I don't speak Korean after all and yet ironically enough I understand it quite well. Go figure. I like the very act of cutting up the ingredients (and with Korean food there seems to be a good deal of prep work involved) & mixing them together.

Beyond the prep work involved with making Korean food is the JOY of eating it. There's something so delightful about eating Korean food for me & it's something I can only describe as bliss. Korean food for me is pure Comfort Food. I eat it & feed some deeper & older part of myself. I eat it & I am whole. I eat it & I am joyful. I eat it & I am connected. I have no other way of describing this experience.

And the crepes? I don't know - they just sort of seem to make sense. Who doesn't love a thin pancake? I've never met anyone who can resist a good crepe. And top it off with some good ice cream & you're good to go.

I double dare you not to like a crepe, ok?



No comments:

Post a Comment