Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Paper Cutting


I watched a TED video last night about this artist who does paper cutting. As I watched her talk about her work, as well as show her pieces I was so inspired by her. This woman did many odd jobs for years and then one day she knew that she had to start her life as an artist and she began paper cutting. I have only recently begun an obsession with paper. Working at a store that sells papers has definitely led me to a greater appreciation of paper. Paper is so much more challenging than I ever would have thought because humidity affects it, as well as thickness of paper affects what you can do with it. I have begun making paper sculptures because I’m a fierce recycler & hated to see the scraps of paper go to waste. Now, after watching this woman on TED I want to challenge myself and start cutting the paper. Paper cutting have always intimidated me because once you cut you can’t go back. There is something so permanent about it & that has scared me! Eek. But, now I am looking forward to the challenge & to see what I can cut & can create. Here’s to the first cut!

I will post pics once I start cutting & am kind of excited to see what will happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment