Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Faith

"Making art more accessible or mainstream for those of us who love to try art, but don't consider ourselves artists? Or something about your vision of being an artist."


My friend Faith posed the question above. Thank you Faith! It's interesting that it should be Faith that should ask me these questions as my answer involves faith. 

When I was living & working in Eugene, Oregon I used to host art parties & invite people to make art. People would begin the evening protesting & claiming, "I don't know what to do. Where should I begin? I'm not an artist." I would just put out what materials I have & feed them some food & just start my own project. I didn't attempt to teach them, but rather provided the space for them to make something. And you know what? Make something they did & it would always be amazing to see what they would make. There is something so lovely & surprising about art. Using the same materials I had used they would create things I never would have imagined. 

At these parties we'd talk & sometimes we wouldn't, but I felt so close to these people. Somehow sharing that space & creating cut through the small talk. 


I believe you honor what is within you & explore that & listen to where it takes you & guides you. A big part of this is faith. Why? Because you don't know where it will take you, don't know what it will involve, don't know what it will bring up. And each creative act is truly a leap into the unknown. 

My friend Faith posed two questions to me & you know what? My answers to both of them are the same: have faith & create from the heart. You know how & where you start? Right where you are, with what you have. Really. Where you & what you have is MORE than enough. 

2 comments:

  1. I will have to read this another time or two. But, it has hit a chord with me and something I can do with my class. I will have to have an "explore art" and snack time a couple times a year. I know that I am amazed at what Elizabeth will do with paper, color, and scissors when I don't guide her. I think some of the formula is giving yourself the time and the approval to just create. Thank you, Lora! What a thoughtful response you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Faith! I appreciated the questions. My recent thought about this was that people more need permission to create than instruction. You gently add instruction here & there, but most people are craving the "permission" to create.

    ReplyDelete