Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Joy, Prayers, and little Yellow Bits

‎"Mom, I'm going to write you a poem made of joy, prayers, and little yellow bits." - Emerson (not Ralph Waldo)

Emerson learned to read earlier this summer and is now beginning to write some words. I thought about poetry when she said this to me this last night. She whispered this to me, "I'm going to write you a poem made of joy, prayers, and little yellow bits."

Her poetry isn't written, but it's verbal. She will often speak me in such a lyrical & lovely way. When she speaks from this place every word she utters is a blessing. There is something magical that occurs when we use language in this way. We open to a deeper place within us and let it speak & move through us. I sometimes marvel at the wise words that come out of my daughter's mouth. Are all children wise & what happens as we get older?

This short post is my way or passing on the poetry that Emerson shared with me last night. I say it to you, "I'm going to write you a poem made of joy, prayers, and little yellow bits." : )

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. I think there is something that children are capable of, I like to think of it as an innocent enthusiasm to create. However, as they grow, most adults just literally fill their lives and their minds with what they "need to know", that they lose that innocence and enthusiasm. However, I don't think all children have it to the degree that Emerson does. Part is genetics, and part is environment. Be thankful that you are passing on positives in both areas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a teacher who made an interesting comment once about the loss of 'innocence' in children. He posited that children out of the womb (and before....) are fully expressive. When their needs are not met or things do not go their way, they try on different attitudes and behavior. Whatever works becomes the 'mask' of their personality. The challenge, I think, is to not get our mask in the way of their fullest expression. Big Job!

    ReplyDelete