Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Soup

I was asked to write about soup. What can you say about soup? Hmm...... I began making my own soups about five years ago. I love every part of the soup process & there's something lovely & satisfying about putting together disparate ingredients & at the end you have a delicious soup to eat.

The first soup I made, and one that is still a favorite, had tomatoes, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, chicken stock, tortellini, and a sprinkling of parmesan on the top. I make this soup in the fall & load up a big pot & let the ingredients cook together. I equally love making soup as I love eating it, but really I love sharing soup. Making a big pot & then having some bread to go with it & feeding it to others.

Since having my daughter I've really had to use my daily life as a means of meditation & art. Soup making was one of the ways I was able to do something creative & meditative in my regular routine. I believe that the intention involved in making the soup goes into the soup as well & I hope it blesses & nourishes those who eat it.

Really everything in life can be used for transformation & used as a means of blessing.

2 comments:

  1. I am a soup person, too. I love the simple 10 minute tomato soup recipe I've created (beats the canned stuff any day) to more complicated stews that take hours to simmer. I rarely use a recipe, except to get suggestions. It is a creative process. I suppose that is another reason why you like it! I especially love it when you raise a family with foods like these. I was raised in the generation of canned/boxed convenience foods. My children, I hope, will be ones who appreciate the truly "good" things, rather than the fast or easy things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Soup making is yet another form of creative meditation and transformation. I especially like it because it results in something tangible we can share with one another :)
    This brings to mind that story "stone soup" - how making soup transformed the relationships within the community.

    ReplyDelete