Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011


What I see.

I am probably like most people who wake up and start my day with coffee, getting ready and then am off in a series of different activities throughout the day until I get ready to go to sleep. What I love about taking photos is that I am forced to slow down, even with a digital camera. I have to stop and think about what intrigues me and what interests me. The camera is my way of articulating and literally focusing on what is calling my attention. Many people remark that my photographs and artwork is pretty and for a while I felt bad about that, but recently I understood that it’s the beauty in the world that calls me to take a photo. When I have a camera lens to look through I am reminded of all the beautiful and wondrous details in the world that I rush by every day. There is something lovely about the mundane, about objects and shapes and shades that I overlook. With the camera in hand I am able to frame what I love.

Each time I look at the photos I have taken I am reminded what a little love and attention will do to anything we set our gaze on. Even something as seemingly small and insignificant as grass or pieces of wood take on another quality and it’s as if it’s been there all the time waiting for us to pay attention. By paying attention I don’t just mean seeing the world around us with our eyes, but through our heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment