Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Constraints in Art

I've recently begun playing with paper. I was given four big bags of paper scraps, many of which were uniform in size. I was overwhelmed initially at the thought of trying to find ways to use the paper. I set up some restrictions for myself: that I would not cut or alter the paper. In a way, I suppose I was trying to honor some of the tenets of origami: no cutting. How could I transform small sheets of paper?


What I love about constraints in the art process is that it really forces me to dig deep and be creative. The solution is always so simple & obvious & yet it's the one I resist looking at initially. I took one form & simply repeated it to create a larger shape. 


The paper sculptures taught me to work in 3D and also to notice the shadows and lines that are created simply from repeating one shape.





No comments:

Post a Comment