Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Korean Wrapping Cloths

When I was visiting Korea years ago I was struck by Korean wrapping cloths. These cloths were typically made by hand and were created by women. When you were giving someone a gift you would place the gift in the wrapping cloth. Can you imagine making a small quilt every time you were giving a present? The wrapping cloths were really gifts in and of themselves and once I learned about them I loved them for their beauty and their function. 

Last year I took on the challenge of creating my own wrapping cloth and what a task that was! I had no idea how long the whole process would take, nor did I realize how complex it was. However, I took it step by step, stitch by stitch until the piece found its own rhythm. 

By making my own wrapping cloth I felt connected to those Korean women who created their own cloths, and I also felt connected to quilt makers. Someone told me a quote he read at an exhibition where quilts were on display. He said one of the women said that she made her quilts to keep her family warm, but beautiful enough to keep her heart from breaking. 

Why do I practice Art on a daily basis? I think it's because life is not easy and there are moments and situations where you can easily fall into despair. For me, art is a practice and one I am compelled and called to practice throughout the day. I often think of Rumi, "Let the beauty you love be what you do." And I do. There are so many beautiful things to see & create each day.



1 comment: