Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What poetry has taught me

I began writing poetry by jumping into it and writing & writing & writing. In those early days I was getting used to my writing voice, but had had practice from years of journal writing. Writing poems was the next natural step in that process. I am forever grateful to people who write poems and to people who read them. 


I was first introduced to poetry at UWM with Susan Firer. I knew nothing of poetry, but was told to take this intro to Creative Writing course because my advisor thought I might like it & it would fulfill one of my requirements. I didn't know that that class would provide me with a way to express what was within me. 


Poetry wasn't simply about writing and reading poems, but rather it fine tuned a way of living. I am so glad that I was introduced to poetry in my early twenties as it helped me pay attention to the world around me and world within me. I was able to listen to what my life was trying to tell me. 


In our busy lives I welcome taking some time to read a poem, to let the sheer beauty of language roll off my tongue and through my mouth. Read a poem out loud! Enjoy the taste of language for yourself, let yourself be a witness to the joy around you & within you. : ) 





No comments:

Post a Comment