Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention

How do you design & decorate on a budget these days? As a recent graduate & a single mom I knew I wanted our home to feel comfortable and cozy. This past year has really taught me a lot in terms of my honoring, valuing, & fostering my creativity. I call myself a creative practitioner and it's truly something I'm practicing throughout my day.

When it came to finding ways to decorate our space I had no budget for it. You know what happened as  a result? I was forced to look at what I already had & find ways to alter, embellish or totally re-create these items. I look around our home and nearly every wall has something that I created.

Having beautiful items in our home is a necessity for me and I was determined to really celebrate the restraints I had. Rather than bemoan the fact that I couldn't afford Pottery Barn I dug in deep & came up with my own design solutions that worked for our home & also didn't cost a cent!

Looking back on this past year I'm so grateful I had no budget for "home decor". I discovered how deep the well of creativity & that sometimes just when you think you have no options that something else opens up & you are still able to create.

We have more resources, ideas, and possibilities within us then we know. All we have to do is honor our creativity & practice it & it will grow & grow & grow. And what a wonderful process it is.



Paper wreaths made out of catalog paper, buttons, and ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment